Instead of an academic description of my neo-progressive-impressionist-expressionist abstraction and its historical treatises…
Here’s the truth
- I paint because it’s completely immersive. Time disappears. Hours go by. I think it’s been 5 minutes.
∴ Painting = meditation = peace
- I paint to keep sane.
∴ Painting = medicine = health
- I paint because everywhere I look I see mesmerizing shadows and colors and light and patterns and I want to keep them, revel in them, reveal them, interpret them—and share them.
∴ Painting = my gift to the world
- I paint because it’s in my nature.
∴ Painting = expression
- I paint abstractly because it’s fascinating. Also because I’m done with the usual.
∴ Painting = delight
- I paint because art is healthy for humanity.
∴ Painting = my contribution to others’ peace, health, gifts, expression, and delight.
Here’s more truth
I expected to live an artist’s life—planned it, even. Alas, I dumped it because I could not answer that dreadful question, “How are you going to support yourself?” People who ask that of art majors should help with the answer, not stymie plans. Stymied, I veered into another high purpose: journalism. Lots of other professions followed, none of which were fine art.
Those experiences now contribute to living an artist’s life, and I’m grateful for them. But I’m at the end of my work life. Time to get a move on. Now or never. I choose now.
“Dream like you’ll live forever. Live like you’ll die tomorrow.”
- “Just Flowed Out”: Trillium Real Estate, 323 Braun Ct., Ann Arbor. August–December 2016
- “Artful Dodger”: Trillium Real Estate, 323 Braun Ct., Ann Arbor. June 2015–July 2016
- “Anything Goes in A2”: Malletts Creek Branch of the Ann Arbor Public Library, Painting Section of the University of Michigan Faculty Women’s Club. June 18–July 29, 2016
- 45th Annual Exhibit: Michigan League, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Painting Section of the University of Michigan Faculty Women’s Club. Oct. 1–30, 2015
- “Food for Love”: Malletts Creek Branch of the Ann Arbor Public Library, Painting Section of the University of Michigan Faculty Women’s Club. June 15–July 31, 2015